Sunday, August 23, 2009

OW!

". . . surely parrots evolved from velociraptors."
-Rebecca K. O'Connor

I had to laugh. The AGP, obviously, is a prey species, not a hunter, but boy can she bite!

Finding information on parrot bites is tricky. I found a general conversation about bite strength that degenerated into a 'my pit bull is meaner than your pit bull' sort of argument, in which in passing it was mentioned that macaws have a bite pressure of 350 psi. No source listed. Another site, also unsourced, says 500-700 psi.

A Wikipedia article on companion parrots in general states that the larger parrots "have a jaw strength comparable to a large dog." I've never been bitten by a dog, so I have no opinion on that. The AGP, on the other hand, has bitten me any number of times over the past two years, and I can completely identify with the velociraptor analogy.

For a good, if brief, discussion of parrot bite strength, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment