Monday, November 10, 2008

Favorite room in the house

I've discovered a great blog to visit if you like to write: The One Minute Writer. Every day there's a new writing prompt, and a little timer that beeps when you are done.

Today's prompt asks about one's favorite room in the house. Mine, of course, is the Bird Room. The Bird Room is not what you might think. It was originally designed to be the dining room. Keep in mind that this is a postage-stamp sized house and already has a breakfast room. Just the two of us living here, we sure don't need both!

Besides, it has this great picture window that looks out on the front yard. It made the Birdfather feel like he was dining in a fishbowl, since we are so close to the street. So we made it a sitting room. As it happens, the front yard is also where the birdfeeders and the Bluebird house and the bird bath are. So I quickly discovered that this was an ideal place to read, sip coffee, and birdwatch. I've gotten some lifers here, including the Brown Creeper I saw when I returned home from an entire day of hiking around a local park looking for one. I was cold, tired, stiff, disappointed, and discouraged. I had no sooner sat down with a cup of coffee to warm my old bones, when I glanced out--and there it was, on one of our pine trees not 20 feet from the window!

I have an original, antique Morris chair in here, and this cool table with inlaid ivory that folds up for easy packing on your camel, should you own one of those, and a good reading lamp. In no time flat, it became my favorite room. I started referrring to the Morris chair as my birding chair.

Now, of course, it also houses the AGP, so it really is a bird room in the usual sense of the word. As I write this (and it's taken a lot longer than one minute), the AGP is on top of her cage, grinding her beak.

No comments:

Post a Comment